There are many properties that will now fall under the definition of HMO (Houses in Multiple Occupation), broadly those occupied by more than 3 people who form more than one household, but this is open to interpretation by the Local Authority.

Since 6th April 2010, changes implemented by The Town and Country Planning (Use Classes) (Amendment) (England) Order 2010 mean that landlords wishing to let their property to professional sharers or students may need to obtain planning permission to change the use classification of their property.

We offer free of charge advice if your property requires planning permission or falls into the HMO mandatory licence and can assist you with any specific requirements.

If you wish to discuss this in more detail with our team, please contact us on

Looking to let your property with us?

We offer a free valuation service for landlords. To see how much your property is worth & how much you could earn, why not get in touch?

Get In Touch

© Galbraith Estates 2017

Maintained by In The Digital...